Wednesday 28 June 2017

Day 4 of Summer Target Birding - Rarity!

After yesterday's extraordinarily dull post, comprising of zero photos. I thought that I'd make another photo heavy post to make this blog a little bit more interesting to my total of zero subscribers (maybe I'll finally pass fifty views!).

My original plan for today was to recover from yesterday's ordeal. After doing absolutely nothing all morning I checked my email at around 1 pm. To my surprise, I saw the following subject line in my inbox; [Ontbirds] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - Marie Curtis Park. Needless to say, two minutes later I was out the door and on a bus to Mississauga.

Unfortunately, I missed my bus, so it ended up taking just over two hours to get to Marie Curtis Park, but I was confident that as soon as I got to the park I'd see a big crowd of birders all staring at a conveniently positioned flycatcher. When I got to the park my confidence quickly drained away, I had no idea where the bird was and didn't see the crowd of birders that I had anticipated.

After an hour of wandering around through the park, I finally found a birder who was on his way out of the park. He gave me directions to the bird, turned out that it wasn't in the park, but rather, just outside of it. When I got to the spot there were "only" a dozen or so birders lingering, hoping for another view of the flycatcher. After waiting a few minutes, someone called out that they had the bird! We all looked up just in time to see the most incredible flycatcher flying low out over the grass.It was it, we had the SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER!

Blurry photo of a scissor-tailed flycatcher at Marie Curtis Park in Mississauga
Scissor-tailed Blur

Scissor-tailed slightly more distinct blur

STFL showing its' incredibly long tail
After getting some distant photos of it flying across the field, I managed to get a bit closer to get some shots of it perched.
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in Marie Curtis Park
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at Marie Curtis Park
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Add caption









Lifers

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

Ontario Year List to date:  209

1 comment: